Teacher Mrs L Childs
Teacher Mrs A Sofroniou
Teaching Assistant Mrs K Goodwin (HLTA)
Current Topic - England and other European countries - Autumn Term 1
During this term, Year 6 will be exploring natural disasters within our Geography topic: Powerful Earth. Much of our writing and reading will be centred around this topic, including our key text for the term which is called 'Escaping the Giant Wave' by Peg Kehret. Within our English lessons, we will write for various purposes such as writing a narrative based on a video stimulus, writing a newspaper article based on a tsunami and instructional writing based on safety precautions that must be taken when completing various activities (in relation to natural disasters and additionally, related to activities undertaken at Kilvrough).
In maths, we will explore fractions in greater depth. Within our fraction lessons, we will consider: converting between mixed numbers and improper fractions, placing fractions on a number line, comparing and ordering fractions and using the four operations to add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions.
Within our Science lessons, we will be exploring light through investigations. We will consider things such as: what light is and how it works, we will identify whether light travels and we will explore shadows and refraction whilst making our own periscopes.
Amongst everything that is going on in this busy term, there will be a range of exciting Christmas-related activities that the children will engage in 'merrily'.
Reminders and Routines
- Children should be reading at least 5 times a week - please ask them to tell you what they are reading about.
- Children should be practising their time tables - including the related division facts. This could be done using Time Tables Rockstars.
- Children should be learning their spellings every day so that they are known "for life".
- When they come to school, they need to bring a water bottle.
- Take time during the week to complete their homework - they will get a piece of Maths and English each week. You can always check what homework has been set by looking in Google Classroom.
PE will take place on a Tuesday and Wednesday. Children should come to school dressed in their PE Kit.
We will add more sites as the year progresses...